Packing for a trip can be tricky, especially if the weather is completely different from where you are living right now. This week I was able to help a friend pack for her extremely cold trip to the east coast. I styled her outfits and gave her a few tips for her travels across the country.
Pack with a purpose. They say it is always best to plan your outfits before you pack. This is SO true! Chelsi wanted me to style every piece of clothing for each occasion during her stay in New York and Washington, D.C. This made packing easier for her because everything was already planned out. There is no more thinking about adding this or that and there is definitely no time wasted during your trip about what to wear.
- Check the weather before planning your outfits.
- Think about what you will be doing and what occasions/events you will attend.
Versatility is the key to smart packing. Think about versatility when picking out pieces of clothing and putting together outfits. I picked outfits for Chelsi where she will stay warm, comfortable and which can be turned into a day to night outfit easily. So while she is in New York or Washington D.C. she can still look fabulous, but she does not have to worry about looking appropriate for different events.
- Jackets, shoes, pants and basic tees or sweaters are often pieces that can be re-used to look differently with various accessory items.
- Maximum of 2 purses: one for the day and smaller one for classier affairs. Find one that can be used for everything if possible.
Maximize space. Chelsi preferred not to bring a carry on with her to the plane. She wanted to have everything in one luggage. I suggested using her storage space wisely like rolling up her clothes or using the Marie Kondo way. I also suggested putting some clothes inside hats as a way to preserve the form and save some space.
- Do not bring more than you need.
- Use a medicine pillbox to store rings, earrings and other jewelry.
- Make sure your luggage is within the weight limits of the airlines.
Wherever you are going and whatever you are doing these tips will help you become more organized and prepared for anything. You will arrive stress free and looking chic for every occasion.
Where are you traveling to next?